John Russell's Home Page
I was born in St. John's,
Newfoundland, Canada and attended
Gonzaga High School and
Memorial University of Newfoundland.
For memories of home, check out my photo gallery.
I've moved to the Bay area
of California, right at the top end of Silicon Valley, to work for
Here's what I'm doing now.
In Canada, I worked at IBM in Toronto, where I
worked on user interface design and coding for IBM's
database and related products,
and web initiatives like the
Technical Library, which features searchable online books, FAQs,
and fix and how-to information.
Over the years at IBM I've
designed web pages (before there was a Netscape!),
and written manuals (XL Fortran,
Ada/6000, Ada/370) and online help.
I'm what the psych people call an INTJ personality type
(introverted, intuitive, thinking, judging). Click here to find out yours.
Home e-mail: website at johnrussell.mailshell.com
Work e-mail: john.russell at oracle.com
You are visitor number
to these pages since January 26, 1996.
- Apr. 10, 2006
- Hey, this time a 4-year hiatus!
But Web 2.0 has brought me back into the game.
For starters, check out my personal blog
and my professional blog.
I've also set up my own domain, JohnRussell.name,
which mirrors this site and will eventually replace it.
- July 8, 2002
- OK, only a 2-year hiatus. :-)
I'm now living in Berkeley with my sweetie Lotus.
To get into the Berkeley spirit, I got an iMac and an
iPod (the iPod also
because of the new longer commute).
I've just started a new page on digital photography.
Got a paper accepted for the October ACM
conference, meaning I'll be visiting Toronto then.
A new climbing gym just
opened in Belmont, around the corner from work.
I'm back playing tennis regularly again.
- March 19, 2000
- This site now has an easy-to-remember alias: www.russell-west.com.
- August 10, 1999
- Moved to California!
- May 25, 1999
- Returned from vacation and started working on a travel section about Greece.
What's On My Mind
Places and Things - Been There, Done That
- The Internet Movie Database is perhaps
the most astoundingly comprehensive and interesting site on the web.
- The Altavista search engine
is the place to find what the other search engines can't,
and it gives you context, not just the document title. Now if they would
just index all my pages.
- NetMind is the
place to look for free Web-based services.
- Daily dose of humour:
- Weekly dose of humour:
- Looking for a phone number, address, or postal code?
Try InfoSpace or
People - Some Friends of Mine on the Net
- Stephen Christian is the #1 fan of, well, lots of things!
- Les Cuff submits M&Ms to strange rituals that he captures on film.
Joe Dawson had his own site in those pre-Web days when we all had
300-baud modems and had to write our own terminal software to call in.
He originated the
Official Donovan Bailey Web Site.
- Russ Gladden is the patron ST of comp.sys.*.advocacy.
His page features a good list of search engines.
- Sean Huxter is a very animated character.
- David Mercer has lots of cool photos from Viet Nam, China, and Japan.
- Craig Stacey is so off the wall that Pink Floyd offers a reward for his capture.
- Kirsten Starcher juggles a hectic schedule but seems to enjoy it.
- Jey Kumar lives about as far away from Singapore as you can get, and chews a lot of gum.
- Con O'Brien of The Irish Descendants must have been paying attention to Mrs. Howard in glee club.
- Keith Pomakis still occasionally talks in "6502" opcodes.
- Jeff Vavasour matured into a leading figure in the video-game industry.